Triangle Presbyterian Church is a vibrant Christian community located in Durham, NC. We are defined by a mission to: Proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ in word and deed, so that we and all people will come to trust Him as Lord and Savior, be moved to practice His teaching in every area of life, work together as a community of service, and be a visible sign of God’s love. To carry out this mission we have active ministries for all ages, insuring there is a special place for you to get connected at Triangle.
Wondering what we believe? Below you’ll find ten brief statements of faith that are based on Scripture and our Reformed Faith Tradition.
1. We believe in one God who is sovereign and exists in three persons—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—who created all things and whom we worship as the living and true God. (2 Corinthians 13:14; Revelation 4:11)
2. We believe Jesus was fully God and fully human and is head of the Church and Lord over all creation. We believe Jesus’ death on the cross paid the penalty for our sin that separates us from being in relationship with God. Through his resurrection Jesus defeated sin and death and gave us the hope of eternal life. We believe he will come again to establish a new heaven and a new earth, and to reign for all eternity. (Colossians 1:15-19; 1 John 4:10)
3. We believe the Holy Spirit connects us in relationship with God and each other, transforms us more and more into the image of Christ from the inside out, and empowers us to continue God’s work in the world. (2 Corinthians 3:18; Acts 1:8)
4. We believe the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the inspired word of God and have ultimate authority in all areas of faith and life. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)
5. We believe human beings were created in God’s own image in true righteousness and holiness, but because of our rebellion against God, we are separated from God’s abundant and eternal life. (Ephesians 2:1-3)
6. We believe salvation is a gift of God’s grace alone through faith in Jesus. We are forgiven and brought into relationship with God. We believe our salvation and sanctification are based entirely on God’s initiative in Jesus Christ. As the Holy Spirit touches our hearts and draws us to God, we respond through faith. (Ephesians 1:4-7; Ephesians 2:8-9)
7. We believe those who put their faith in Christ are spiritually united with Christ, enter into the new covenant where there is salvation and redemption, and become members of the covenant community called the church. (1 Peter 2:9)
8. We believe all followers of Jesus are called to participate in the work of ministry and mission in the world as the “priesthood of all believers,” using their spiritual gifts, heart, abilities, personalities and experiences to demonstrate the gospel in word and deed. (1 Corinthians 12:27; 2 Corinthians 5:18)
9. We believe God has given us the responsibility of caring for his creation and giving our time, spiritual gifts and financial resources in order to acknowledge the Lordship of Christ and join him in advancing his kingdom. (Psalm 24:1; Romans 12:1)
10. We believe the sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper are signs of God’s grace and real presence within the community of faith. (Matthew 28:19; 1 Corinthians 11:26)