The small group of men that I meet with on Thursday mornings has been watching and discussing the John Ortberg video series, “All the Places to Go; How Will You Know?” We’ve been talking about doors that God opens and closes before us as we seek to discern God’s will for our lives. One of the things we have discovered is that sometimes the doors that God opens before us lead to places that may be outside of our comfort zone. We may find ourselves saying, as we walk through such doors, “I’ve never done this before.” I’m sure we each have stepped through such a door and been surprised at how God had prepared for our arrival on the other side of the threshold. At times we discover gifts for ministry we didn’t know we had.
I believe God has placed a door before us as a church family and invited us to step through. We’re not totally sure what might be on the other side of the door because we have never stepped over this particular threshold before. We’re calling this doorway, “The Church Has Left the Building.”
On Sunday, October 25th we will gather in the sanctuary for a brief worship service at 9:30 AM. From worship we will be sent out to serve Christ by serving others. There are about 14 different opportunities for service. A few will take place at our facility for those who would have trouble venturing out. Most of us will engage in one of the opportunities to care for others through both word and deed.
- If you can hand out doughnuts and coffee to college students with a warm greeting and smile, there is a place for you.
- If you can wash a car, there is a place for you.
- If you can use a rake or a shovel, there is a place for you.
- If you can write a letter to a missionary or college student, there is a place for you.
- If you can make a visit or two to someone who spends most of his or her time at home, there’s a place for you.
- If you can visit a resident in a nursing home, there’s a place for you.
- If you can help pack backpacks for foster children, there’s a place for you.
- If you can help pack lunches for the homeless shelter, there’s a place for you.
Who knows, there may be other doors that open before us of which we are not yet aware. The question is, which door will you step through to serve God and our neighbors on that day? Go to our website www.trianglepc.org and pick your door today!
Together with you serving God by serving others,